Monday, February 25, 2013

Backdrop Support

I was in need of a backdrop support to use in my photography and after checking the prices at several websites, I decided to make my own. I found some home made ones made from PVC plumbing pipe that looked easy to make. The only thing I didn't like about them was the sturdiness and ease of transporting  them. I had a couple of inexpensive light stands I had bought several years ago, so I decided to use them. I also had some 3/4 inch electrical conduit on hand I decided to use as a cross bar. Here are some photos of the stand I made. I use a white bedspread as the backdrop. I can change bedspreads or use material for different color texture effects etc. I use clamps I bought at Walmart to hold it in place.
If you would like to make one of your own here is a list of the materials.
1 - 6ft. Length of 3/4in. electrical conduit found at home improvement stores like Lowes.
1 - 3/4 Electrical pipe connector (see photo 2)
2 - Inexpensive tripot style light stands. Get the type with the ball nut on the end.
Material for backdrop. Large enough to stretch across support.
3 - 4 Clamps like those shown. Available at Walmart.
Here are the stand pieces laid out. The 3/4in. conduit is cut into 3ft. pieces.
(Photo 2) Here is the coupler used to join the 2 sections of conduit together.
I had to flatten one end of one end of each piece of conduit so the bolt on the ball nut would go thru it.
Here is a closeup of the ball nut at the top of the tripod.
Here is a photo of the clamps I got at Walmart.
This is a photo showing the description of each part.
Here is a photo of the stand set up without the sheet attached.
Here is a photo with the sheet attached. I know I should have ironed it LOL.
Here is a photo with some aspiring models.

No comments:

Post a Comment